I've been a little slack lately at updating the blog, but all is well on the homefront. Daniel has now spent nearly a week in his new "big boy" bed....and he's doing great! The furniture arrived last Friday (3/14) and although the dresser was damaged (we received a replacement yesterday), everything went fine. Ed and Dad helped to disassemble the crib last Thursday night and get the crib and the dresser/changing table down to the basement. Daniel slept in the pack-n-play on Thursday night in an almost empty room. Ed was kind enough to work from home on Friday so that I could go to WOW in the morning. So I scrambled when I got home to get all the furniture arranged and the bedding assembled. We started out with the bed in the center of his room but quickly realized it really cut off the flow and made the room look smaller. So we ended up pushing it against the wall like we did in Elizabeth's room. It's amazing how it makes the room look larger. We kept the glider in the corner but had to ditch the ottoman. The furniture really looks great and the yellow walls aren't even bothering me as much as I thought they would although I'm still excited to paint and do a new border. After getting everything in the room, I've told Ed that I'm going against the original blue/navy that we had discussed for his room (I think it will make the room look too dark) and instead I'd like to match the olive green color in his bedding. I think we'll just have to see what we find when we start shopping for paint.
All in all, I'm very excited. I cried when Elizabeth switched to her big girl bed but I didn't even shed a tear this time. I really think it's because I'm tired of that room being a nursery after 5 years and it really never did "fit" Daniel to me. I think his new room fits him much better and I'm excited for him. Time to close the book on the yellow and green nursery and on to the next phase of life!!
He sleeps very well in his new bed, but it's never the "normal" way. He's typically perpendicular, lying at or near the foot of the bed....usually on his stomach. He's never at the head of the bed with his head on the pillow and his body under the covers. But I remember that it took Elizabeth a while to get the hang of it so I guess it will for him too. I watch him on the monitor for naps and he'll typically stay awake for several minutes, playing with his cars or his books. Occasionally he might get out of bed to get something but he doesn't come out of his room and he always gets back in bed and eventually falls asleep. My fingers and toes are crossed that he continues to do so well!!
Let's see....in other news for us, Elizabeth is signed up for swimming lessons at Dynamo. Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:00-1:30 for 5 weeks starting April 21st. I was going to wait until the summer, but June would be tough due to Vacation Bible School and our vacation to Cape Cod/Boston so we decided spring would work best. It will be busy between swimming, soccer, gymnastics, and choir but such is the life of a busy 4-year-old, I guess! By the summer, we'll be down to gymnastics (maybe) and nothing else, so it's just a short burst of busy-ness here at the end of spring. Ed and I both agree that the swim lessons are important and it will help me tremendously if Elizabeth can swim on her own at the pool this summer so that I can concentrate on my wild child, Daniel.
Easter is in just a few days and we've already had one Easter egg hunt at the church this past Sunday, Elizabeth had one at school today, and the kids have another one tomorrow hosted by Montie for the WOW group. We are aiming to make it to the 8:00am service on Sunday after attending the baseball game in Athens on Saturday so hopefully we'll make it! We'll be going to the Duttons' house for lunch on Sunday afternoon and so far, the weather looks nice with a high of 65 and sunny.
We had our girls' trip to Big Canoe a couple of weeks ago. It was just mom, myself, Denise, and Tara who spent both nights at Big Canoe. Rachael, Linda, and Paige met us at Ruby Tuesday by the outlet mall on Saturday for lunch only. We had a great time and it was nice for me to get away without the kids for a little while and recharge. It actually snowed on Saturday, pretty heavily at Big Canoe but it only stuck to the grassy areas and not the roads. It didn't make for the best weather for outlet shopping but we made the best of it! We made it back in time for me to play my first ALTA match on Sunday afternoon (making up the Easter match) after returning to the B6 team. I played #3 with Lisa J and we lost 6-4, 6-2 but everyone else on our team lost too!
This past weekend, Ed and I celebrated our 6th anniversary! We went to Hal's on Old Ivy for dinner on Saturday night at the recommendation of Zac and Heather. It was fantastic! We both loved the food and the atmosphere - it didn't seem as formal and closed as some of the Buckhead restaurants. We split a bottle of wine and each got the filet - I got mashed potatoes, Ed got asparagus, and we split sauteed mushrooms. We each got a chopped salad and we split chocolate cake for dessert. Ed actually had his first gain for WW when he weighed in on Monday, but it was only 0.6 pounds so it was totally worth it for the meal we had!
As I type, UGA lost its first round NCAA basketball tournament game to Xavier this afternoon, ending a miraculous run in which we went 4-12 during the regular SEC season but won 4 games in 3 days to win the SEC Tournament. As if that weren't enough, a tornado hit downtown Atlanta on Friday night, forcing our second round game against Kentucky to be played on Saturday at 12:30, then we had to play the semifinal game later that same day against Mississippi State, and finally we played the championship game on Sunday against Arkansas. I'll admit I'm not a huge basketball fan and I didn't follow UGA this season because we were so horrible, but it was nothing like I've ever seen in my life. That's the beauty of college basketball and tournament play - even if you had a rotten regular season, you can somehow pull it together in the tournament and win! It was amazing and I'm so proud of them even if it all had to end in the first round.
I guess that about wraps up our major events. I've been very stressed this week for some reason and a lot of it centers around Daniel. I think he has established himself as my difficult child! He has been resisting routine tasks like changing his diaper, getting dressed in the morning, getting in and out of his chair for meals, etc. I guess it's to be expected of a 2-year-old but it's really been driving me crazy! Today I tried to focus on making things fun and being more patient with him and the day seemed to go much better so hopefully I can keep it up. I have a feeling that this battle of wills between us is only just beginning so I'd better learn how to deal with it now before I lose my mind completely!!
Oh, and we were at Kristi's house yesterday for a playdate and he fell on her stone patio and has a lovely scrape on his nose and one on his forehead.....just in time for Easter. He's going to have constant bumps and bruises and that's something else I'm learning to live with!
All in all, I'm very excited. I cried when Elizabeth switched to her big girl bed but I didn't even shed a tear this time. I really think it's because I'm tired of that room being a nursery after 5 years and it really never did "fit" Daniel to me. I think his new room fits him much better and I'm excited for him. Time to close the book on the yellow and green nursery and on to the next phase of life!!
He sleeps very well in his new bed, but it's never the "normal" way. He's typically perpendicular, lying at or near the foot of the bed....usually on his stomach. He's never at the head of the bed with his head on the pillow and his body under the covers. But I remember that it took Elizabeth a while to get the hang of it so I guess it will for him too. I watch him on the monitor for naps and he'll typically stay awake for several minutes, playing with his cars or his books. Occasionally he might get out of bed to get something but he doesn't come out of his room and he always gets back in bed and eventually falls asleep. My fingers and toes are crossed that he continues to do so well!!
Let's see....in other news for us, Elizabeth is signed up for swimming lessons at Dynamo. Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:00-1:30 for 5 weeks starting April 21st. I was going to wait until the summer, but June would be tough due to Vacation Bible School and our vacation to Cape Cod/Boston so we decided spring would work best. It will be busy between swimming, soccer, gymnastics, and choir but such is the life of a busy 4-year-old, I guess! By the summer, we'll be down to gymnastics (maybe) and nothing else, so it's just a short burst of busy-ness here at the end of spring. Ed and I both agree that the swim lessons are important and it will help me tremendously if Elizabeth can swim on her own at the pool this summer so that I can concentrate on my wild child, Daniel.
Easter is in just a few days and we've already had one Easter egg hunt at the church this past Sunday, Elizabeth had one at school today, and the kids have another one tomorrow hosted by Montie for the WOW group. We are aiming to make it to the 8:00am service on Sunday after attending the baseball game in Athens on Saturday so hopefully we'll make it! We'll be going to the Duttons' house for lunch on Sunday afternoon and so far, the weather looks nice with a high of 65 and sunny.
We had our girls' trip to Big Canoe a couple of weeks ago. It was just mom, myself, Denise, and Tara who spent both nights at Big Canoe. Rachael, Linda, and Paige met us at Ruby Tuesday by the outlet mall on Saturday for lunch only. We had a great time and it was nice for me to get away without the kids for a little while and recharge. It actually snowed on Saturday, pretty heavily at Big Canoe but it only stuck to the grassy areas and not the roads. It didn't make for the best weather for outlet shopping but we made the best of it! We made it back in time for me to play my first ALTA match on Sunday afternoon (making up the Easter match) after returning to the B6 team. I played #3 with Lisa J and we lost 6-4, 6-2 but everyone else on our team lost too!
This past weekend, Ed and I celebrated our 6th anniversary! We went to Hal's on Old Ivy for dinner on Saturday night at the recommendation of Zac and Heather. It was fantastic! We both loved the food and the atmosphere - it didn't seem as formal and closed as some of the Buckhead restaurants. We split a bottle of wine and each got the filet - I got mashed potatoes, Ed got asparagus, and we split sauteed mushrooms. We each got a chopped salad and we split chocolate cake for dessert. Ed actually had his first gain for WW when he weighed in on Monday, but it was only 0.6 pounds so it was totally worth it for the meal we had!
As I type, UGA lost its first round NCAA basketball tournament game to Xavier this afternoon, ending a miraculous run in which we went 4-12 during the regular SEC season but won 4 games in 3 days to win the SEC Tournament. As if that weren't enough, a tornado hit downtown Atlanta on Friday night, forcing our second round game against Kentucky to be played on Saturday at 12:30, then we had to play the semifinal game later that same day against Mississippi State, and finally we played the championship game on Sunday against Arkansas. I'll admit I'm not a huge basketball fan and I didn't follow UGA this season because we were so horrible, but it was nothing like I've ever seen in my life. That's the beauty of college basketball and tournament play - even if you had a rotten regular season, you can somehow pull it together in the tournament and win! It was amazing and I'm so proud of them even if it all had to end in the first round.
I guess that about wraps up our major events. I've been very stressed this week for some reason and a lot of it centers around Daniel. I think he has established himself as my difficult child! He has been resisting routine tasks like changing his diaper, getting dressed in the morning, getting in and out of his chair for meals, etc. I guess it's to be expected of a 2-year-old but it's really been driving me crazy! Today I tried to focus on making things fun and being more patient with him and the day seemed to go much better so hopefully I can keep it up. I have a feeling that this battle of wills between us is only just beginning so I'd better learn how to deal with it now before I lose my mind completely!!
Oh, and we were at Kristi's house yesterday for a playdate and he fell on her stone patio and has a lovely scrape on his nose and one on his forehead.....just in time for Easter. He's going to have constant bumps and bruises and that's something else I'm learning to live with!
No comments:
Post a Comment