Tuesday, October 27, 2009

October 27, 2009: Autumn in Full Swing!

OK, I have absolutely no chance of doing this update any justice since I waited over THREE MONTHS between posts so I will just do my best (and try to do better in the future!!)

We had an absolute DREAM vacation on the Disney Cruise!!! It was honestly the most amazing time and we all loved it - me, Ed, the kids, AND his parents. We are already planning another Disney Cruise for 2011!!! The kids ask me almost weekly when we can go back on the "Magic Boat." Everything was truly magical and Disney knows how to do it right. We enjoyed everything from the nightly shows (we even got to see "G Force" almost before it was out in theaters), the Pirates IN the Caribbean dinner and party, the Mad Hatter tea party that Elizabeth and I attended, the "adult only" dinner at Palo that Ed and I attended, the massages in the spa for Ed and me, the splashes in the Mickey and Goofy pools on the top deck, the semi-submarine tours in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, the trolley tour in Key West...whew! It was all fabulous. I have an entire photo album to remember the whole thing. We waited all summer for our vacation and it was well worth the wait...can't wait to do it again!

Oh, and Elizabeth got lost on the second day and it took a while to find her...but all's well that ends well!

Elizabeth absolutely LOVES Kindergarten!!! She has had a GREAT start to the school year. We love her teacher and we just love everything about IHM. There's honestly more to love about the school every day. It really feels like a community and we are so pleased with everything. I am getting to know more of the kids and the parents and everyone is just so wonderful. We really couldn't have asked for a better experience. Elizabeth loves it so much that she asks why she can't go to school on Saturdays and Sundays!! I hope her love for school lasts a LONG time!

Speaking of Elizabeth, my baby girl has turned SIX!!! We had a wonderful time celebrating her birthday (several times, of course). We had a birthday party for her on October 4th. We invited several of her "old" friends from YCS and several of her "new" friends from IHM. We had an outdoor/backyard BBQ cookout. Despite a dreary forecast, the rain held off and the kids had a great time running around in the backyard, enjoying burgers, dogs, and cupcakes and ice cream, and tearing into a pinata full of candy! Then I went to Elizabeth's classroom on her birthday and enjoyed reading to the kids...Elizabeth also got to read a book to the class! I brought her favorite - banana mini muffins - to share as the snack. Then Mom and I took Elizabeth to the American Girl Bistro at North Point Mall. We let her pick out a doll (one that looks just like her and she named her Lizzie) and we enjoyed brunch. We all had a wonderful time and we hope to do it again sometime when NaNa is in town so she can join us. We also went to Bambinelli's for dinner on Elizabeth's birthday to round out the celebrations. Whew!

Daniel is loving the Tiger class at YCS and he loves going to school 5 days/week just like his big sister. He also loves staying for playgroup and one day last week, he even told his teachers he was staying even when he wasn't!! I am really enjoying having all 5 mornings each week to myself and especially the "extended" day each week on Wednesday when Daniel stays for playgroup. With all the crazyness of the school year beginning, the consignment sale at YCS, and Elizabeth's birthday, I am just now getting my head above water to begin some of the projects around the house I'd like to do (cleaning out closets/pantry, updating photo albums, downloading from the video camera onto DVDs, etc.). I'm sure with the holidays just around the corner I may not be able to make much headway very quickly, but I feel good that it will all get done!!

As for activities, Elizabeth is enjoying tennis on Mondays at Dekalb Tennis Center and Daniel is enjoying "Tiny Tykes" soccer on Sundays with TYSA. Both kids are also enjoying choir on Wednesdays at church. There were other offerings at IHM for Elizabeth, but we felt like this was enough for all of us while we are adjusting to "big school." Elizabeth definitely needed some time to adjust to Kindergarten and especially to the longer school day (she came home tired and cranky the first few weeks) but we made it through and she is really doing well.

Ed and I are doing fine. He is exhausted from a busy year as chair of SPR for the church but that will thankfully be over in less than two months. I feel like we are due a date night in the near future but fortunately we are taking our Asheville trip again this year in December so I am very much looking forward to that. Our ALTA seasons have ended without making the playoffs but we enjoyed the exercise and we are looking forward to some quieter weekends.

The Dawgs' season has been up and down but we made the trip to Nashville and had a great time and there are a few home games in November so we'll make the most of it!

Mom and Dad finally sold their Snellville house in mid-October (YAY!!) and the entire Atlanta area is recovering from some record flooding. I just knew when we were talking about "record drought" a couple of years ago that everything is cyclical and it will all come back around. Now we are all tired of the rain and the days with sunshine are few and far between! Still, we are enjoying fall and the changing of the leaves along with some cooler weather.

Halloween is this Saturday and we will be crashing the Dormineys' neighborhood again! Elizabeth will have to choose between Princess Minnie and a witch, and Daniel will be a firefighter again like last year (hey, the costume still fits and it looks good!) We will have a lot of fun and hope to make a party of it!

That's all the major news from the Hongs...I will try to update before the next major holiday. I am so excited for the holidays this year! IHM has a special "Grandparents' Day" on Tues Nov 24th so Ed's parents will be coming here for Thanksgiving....we will all be at Mom & Dad's new house for Thanksgiving dinner!! Then we will be here for Christmas and will be leaving for Houston on Dec 26th for a few days and Burt and Audrey will also be there. I love it!!

No comments: